Saturday, September 22, 2007

Dorothy and Munchkins Thumbnails/Drawing (Scroll Down for Finished Painting)



When starting a new piece, the thumbnail process is extremely important and is usually the most difficult for me. Getting set on a good composition and idea takes alot of thinking and sketching out all the possibilities. Because I am a perfectionist, I always think I can make a piece better, which causes me to explore to the max. Here are just a few of my thumbnails.
Also here are my final pencils of the characters from which I then transfer to my masonite board. I then draw my landscapes directly on to the board and begin to paint. I basically use a very traditional way of painting; tranparent shadows and opaque lights, topped off with some glazing to polish and finish. Finish is below!!